Monday 20 October 2014

REVIEW: Killer Queen by L.H. Cosway


Killer Queen (Painted Faces #2)

Written by L.H. Cosway

Genre: Contemporary Romance

Purchase: Amazon USAmazon UK 

B&N  / Kobo / iTunes / Smashwords


Synopsis:

Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome…

Come inside The Glamour Patch club to see the star of our show, Miss Vivica Blue.


Do you want to read my diary you nosy little devils? Have a glass of champagne (you’ll need it) and get comfortable because you’re in for some crazy shenanigans brought to you straight from the horse’s mouth.

I can be whatever you want me to be: boy, girl, a little bit of both.

If you have a problem with a man in a dress then best be off with you. If males in make-up give you the willies, then I’ll say au revoir and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

So, who are we left with? Ah, a fine collection of curious souls. I want to tell you a tale of love, because those are the most glorious kind. I want to tell you about real love, a love that transcends labels and gender stereotypes.

The moment I first laid eyes on my Freda I knew that we were kindred. Well okay, I also knew I wanted to get into her pants, but that’s beside the point. My world was a grey place. I was at my lowest ebb. Then she came along and patches of colour began to spring forth. One day the daffodils were yellow and before I knew it, colour was everywhere, lighting up my life.

Love is not about how we appear on the outside, it’s about the soul contained within.

Our story was not a conventional one, but it was ours, and that’s what made it shine.

Killer Queen is a companion novel to L.H. Cosway’s contemporary romance, Painted Faces. It contains scenes that take place before, during and after the original story. It can also be read as a standalone.
THIS BOOK IS RECOMMENDED FOR MATURE READERS AUDIENCES ONLY. HOWEVER, THIS REVIEW ITSELF DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL.

* 5 STARS * Review:


"We human beings are strange creatures, and that strangeness makes us fascinating."



One of the best feelings ever? Getting back to your most favorite characters whom you completely adore and immersing yourself in their story once again. When I found that L.H. Cosway was writing companion novella to my favorite novel of 2012 Painted Faces, I was ecstatic. Written in Nicholas's POV, Killer Queen is a story about life of drag queen Vivica Blue and sassy Dublin-native Freda - the most unforgettable, complex and in depth depicted bookish couple I have ever encountered in contemporary genre. 


Story in Nicholas's POV was exactly as the man himself - captivating, eccentric and very colorful. This book provides a fascinating insight into the psyche of troubled man with sad past and fabulous performer with constant highs and lows in the present. It is one of a kind story and I adore it to pieces. It will break your hearts and simultaneously lift them up. I cried happy tears, I cried devastated tears, I laughed, I swooned. It was perfect reading experience and I can't recommend this book enough.

Events and characters on the pages of this novel come truly alive through L.H. Cosway's rich and phenomenal writing. Unique settings? Unconventional situations? Intense and emotional tale of love and friendship? You will find it all in this book.


Killer Queen is written in a form of diary entries. Readers get to see not only events from Nicholas' early life and events that that led him to Freda, but also his life in Dublin itself and period after the end of Painted Faces. Yeah, L.H. Cosway has been generous to her fans.

And even though this novel can be read as a standalone, I highly recommend you to read Painted Faces as well. After all, Killer Queen is "only" companion novel. And if you want the full picture, the proper experience, Painted Faces from Freda's POV is a must-read. Moreover, her POV is a blast to read so I can assure you won't regret it!

author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.