Monday 28 January 2013

REVIEW: Pivot Point by Kasie West


 Pivot Point by Kasie West

4.5 STARS

 

Goodreads Blurb:


Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

Book comes out February 12th, do not forget to add it to your to-read list!
 

My Review:

 
*I received ARC by Gallery Books via Edelweiss in exchange for a honest review*

My Addison:










 






My Trevor:


















My Duke:
"When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel. To me, it islmost seems more real, because I know that those characters can't influence me with any power. S I like to remind myself that I can feel without anyone manipulating me...."
Pivot Point is YA paranormal story about people with special mental abilities. Addison with mum as Persuasive (able to persuade other people to do what she wants) and dad as Discenser (a human lie detector), Addison has a talent of her own. She is Searcher which enables her to see outcome and consequences of all alternative decisions she makes. Quite useful right? After unexpected news about her parent's divorce, Addison can decide whether she wants to stay in hidden place among others talented people with her mum or leave to normal  world with her dad. And that is right time to use her ability to decide...

It has been quite long since I read YA book, but with interesting idea behind the story, I  got into it really fast. I was affraid of being confused by story taking two alterating paths based on two choices Addie could make. But fortunatelly it was not the case and instead of 1 story, readers basically get 2. Simultaneously, readers see what would happen if  Addie picks to stay with mum or leave with her dad. And let me tell you, I would not know which path to choose myself if I was in Addie's shoes. Based on her "knowledge", it was very difficutl decision. Not only what kind of life style to choose, but also what guy to be with... Duke or Trevor? Paranormal or Normal?

Pivot Point gives the term "love triangle" completely new and different meaning (if it is even possible to call Addie's choice between 2 guys in alternate universe a love triangle). And while normally I totally despise love triangles, in this case I really liked it and it made whole story very intriguying for me. Duke was popular quarterback in her paranormal hometown. Maybe he was total opposite of Addie but very charming, able to make her laugh. Trevor, on the other hand, was absolutely normal, nice and friendly guy, making feel Addie comfortable in his company. But as story progressed, my (and Addie's) preferences were quite clear and I was leaning towars one specific guy. Which one? You will have to find out yourself.

As far as YA genre goes, Pivot Point was really great book and I enjoyed it a lot. Premise of this book was unique and I am happy to say that it was nicely executed as well. Interesting twists, captivating storyline and great narrator. Recommended to all YA lovers!

author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.